Wednesday, October 10, 2012


 Last weekend we went on a whirlwind trip to New York City. Scott had an epic Friday at work and didn't climb into bed until 1 a.m. Unfortunately for him, my alarm went off at 3:28 a.m. I packed the car, woke Scott up, packed the kids and Scott in, and climbed behind the wheel. Three-and-a-half hours later, we pulled into NYC and found a place to park. As you can see, parking is not cheap (that said, this is much cheaper than the weekday parking sign).
 The purpose of this trip was to 1) see my good friend Tiff, 2) see my good friend Breanne, and 3) run the Angel's Run 5K. The race was a charity benefit for a cancer center in honor of Tiff's mom, who passed away from cancer three years ago. My hip is still not completely healed, but there was no way I was going to miss this.
 Two weeks before the race, Tiff got in a car accident and hurt her back. She emailed me and was so bummed that she now couldn't fly out for the race. I was sad that I wouldn't get to see her, but I was determined to document it for her so it would be as if she was right there. I took my phone and took lots of blurry crummy pictures like the one of her dad and brother, above.
 And this nice one of me checking my watch, which I'd forgotten to start.
 And this one of my feet pounding the pavement. Feel like you're running a 5K yet? I texted a bunch of pictures real-time to Tiff and found out afterward that her phone doesn't do picture texts. Oops. I dumped them on Facebook for her instead.
 And the finish. My time was really unspectacular. I pretended that I was going for a normal training run and resisted the urge to sprint out at the start or surge at the finish; mission accomplished as my hip isn't any worse than it was before.
 Everyone wore halos and white shirts with angel wings on the back. My halo actually stayed on while running. Breanne ran so fast that hers popped off in the first 50 meters.
 Here is our wonderful (and very tired) support crew. We ate bagels in a park with Breanne and her family afterward...
 ...then headed uptown... the American Museum of Natural History for a nice visit before heading home for the day.
When asked about his favorite part of the trip, Bruce said it was the bacon-egg bagel that he ate at the park that morning. Phoebe said her favorite part of the trip was the bounce house that was next to a restaurant we stopped at on the way home. Just looking at it must have been a thrill because we didn't even step near it. Scott's favorite part of the day was probably laying his head on the pillow that night, where he caught 7 hours of sleep before heading to another long day at work on Sunday.

Labels: , , , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home