Thursday, January 24, 2008

Get Thee Hence, Verizon

The end is near. For Verizon, that is. I'm actually fed up enough to switch internet service providers.

We've had them for a few years and never had any complaint at our old apartment, but when we moved the troubles began. They reassigned our phone number without telling us, so instead of transferring our account they closed it. They were supposed to have service up and running a few days after we moved, but it took them two weeks!

We've had service since September in our new place and EVERY month something has been wrong with the bill. I have called every single month and spent countless hours on the phone with either an automated system or some completely clueless person who says "I don't know what's wrong but this will never happen again."

Yesterday I called about my messed up bill again (they charged me for two months of DSL rather than one month) and sat on the phone for a half hour. Talked to an automated system. Finally got a real person - who was clueless. Got transferred to shipping!?? That person was really clueless. Sat on hold while I was being transferred to another galaxy. Someone picked up and their phone system must not have been working (typical of a phone company?). The lady couldn't hear me but I could hear her answer the phone and then start flirting with a coworker. That was the last straw for me.

I called a toll-free number for RCN today. Within 30 seconds, I was talking to a real person. I'm already sold.

UPDATE: The deed is done. I called Verizon this morning and waited only 15 minutes to talk to a real person (perhaps a record?). When I told the operator I wanted to cancel my account, she asked why. I gave her my reasons and she said she saw no billing problems (that's what they all say!). She said I could wait until March to avoid an early termination fee, but I opted to pay the fee so I'd never have to call that number again. I'M DONE WITH THEM! I feel like a free woman after a firestorm of a breakup. And take your router too!

3 Comments:

Blogger ellen said...

Is Verizon burning?

10:48 PM  
Blogger Watauga Relief Society said...

Ok, we have Verizon Fios. Although I love the speed of the connection, we have had nothing but problems from their service. I have never called (which has been monthly with billing and connection issues) without being on hold, or waiting for 45 min to an hour, or being transferred numerous times to the wrong department!! The most recent situation was that our Fios router died and it was TORTURE to get them to send a new one, finally someone sent us one (wrong address of course) and said, "Oh you are lucky, one more month and your warranty would have been up and you would have to pay $200!" -- I DON'T think so! I would have been switching providers... Ugh, I don't like Verizon either. Hope RCN works for you!!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Karyn said...

Someone sounds a little bit like mom.
tee hee
Love ya sis!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home