Sunday, August 24, 2008

Campout Anniversary


This weekend was the annual church campout in Vermont. Last year, we had a tiny tent and it rained and rained. This year the weather was gorgeous and we brought our new mansion of a tent. Bruce and I drove up to Vermont on Thursday and set up camp; I was in charge of it, so I had to be there. Scott finished up a few projects on Friday and drove up with friends that night.


It took me and my friend, Sarah, at least a half-hour to figure out how my tent was supposed to go up. The past few trips, I've always entertained Bruce while Scott put the tent up singlehandedly. Now I'm totally in awe of him. I'm not sure how he did that by himself. I sure appreciated him a little more that night. Very fitting since it was our 5-year anniversary!

After we got the tent up on Thursday night, we were too tired to make a real meal so Bruce had a dinner of trail mix before going to bed. The next morning he ate three pancakes and about 4 cups of blackberries picked off the bushes.

We spent the day swimming in the pond and chatting with people from church. Scott made it to camp around dinnertime and helped put Bruce to bed, then we went by the campfire and made s'mores while listening to a lady from church play the guitar and sing songs.

On Saturday we served up a breakfast of bagels, cereal, danishes, muffins, and fruit to everyone at camp and then had a service project: pulling weeds in flower gardens and chopping wood. That afternoon Bruce must have been feeling a little attention-deprived. He picked up a soccer ball and chucked it at a month-old baby's head! I was quite upset; he had a serious time-out, then Scott took him on a hike before we packed up and headed home.

All in all, camp went well. No injuries. Maybe a few tears: there was a chorus of wailing babies every night. But still, everything went well.

5 Comments:

Blogger ellen said...

Thanks for all you did to make it a fun campout (especially the weather!)!!

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great campout. So much behind the scenes planning! It was awesome.
chandra

11:10 PM  
Blogger Karyn said...

You are so rugged... in a good way. :)
Happy 5 years!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Frozen Cacti said...

I am sad we couldn't be there this year. I thought about you guys all weekend (mostly hoping it wouldn't rain!). We have good memories from last year, so I'm sure this year was great too.

Happy Anniversary.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Watauga Relief Society said...

lol, tent woes! but I heard it was perfect!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home