Monday, April 20, 2009

Marathon Monday 2009

Bruce and I watched the marathon from Mile 24 (Scott still had to go to class today), Coolidge Corner. We hung out with the fabulous Greater Boston Track Club crowd and cheered on our teammates. The photos above are of Junyoung Pak, who ran a 2:33 and obviously felt pretty good here.
We were across the street from a deejay that played loud dance music: YMCA, techno, etc. I could tell Bruce really wanted to dance - he was bouncing in his stroller - but there was such a huge crowd and we were right on the edge of the course, so I kept him strapped in to prevent any disaster.
Here's our awesome cheering section - or at least part of it. Facing the cam is Lovely Laura, who lives very close to the course and hosted a brunch this morning. She allowed Bruce to harass her cats and watch a movie while the rest of us watched live coverage on TV. Dan grabbed some extra mojo on his way to the finish.
Tara led our women's team with an awesome 2:57.

David ran a 2:27 to lead our men's team. Both the men's and women's teams finished fourth.
When I see people like this, I feel like I really can't complain about anything. This guy bounced his way to Boston - but it looked like a jarring, painful sort of bounce. Still, he finished in 3 hours and 2 minutes.
It seems like there's always one of my former BYU teammates running. This year the lucky one was Marie (Hodgson) Glahn. I didn't even know she was coming until yesterday when a mutual friend told me she was running it. I wasn't sure I'd recognize her on the course; there are a lot of people, after all. I didn't know what she was wearing or anything. But when I saw her running down the hill, I knew it was her. Each runner has a unique stride and even though I hadn't seen Marie's since 2001 (she was a senior when I was a frosh), I recognized it right away. Go Cougars! Marie finished in 3:05.
I made a sign, but didn't have time to grab it and hold it up while also taking pictures. So Marie, if you're reading this, I really did try to cheer for you. (Not that you would have heard me over the loud techno)By the time we had seen all our teammates and most of our friends, Bruce was done. He fell asleep on the bus-ride home.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean and Laura said...

Wow Emily. You have some seriously fast friends. Have you ever run a marathon? So impressed. We were at mile 16. I just love to watch. Nice picture of Dee, by the way.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Carolyn Quebe Williams said...

Emily! I totally ran Boston! I didn't know you were out there?! I could have seen you, darn!

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home