Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Real Deal

Today was Bruce's real birthday. No time to party hard today, so we did the friend birthday bash last week and today we did the family party. Bruce and I baked, frosted, and decorated the cake. Okay, Bruce did pretty much all the work. He's very serious about his sprinkles. This afternoon he and I ventured to a bowling alley. We went candlepin bowling; it's a New England thing with smaller balls and skinnier pins and - the best part - three turns per frame instead of two. Sweet!After dinner we busted out the birthday cake and candles and sang the traditional song. Scott "helped" Bruce blow out his candles and here is how Bruce felt about it. So we lit them again and Bruce blew them out the second time around. All. by. himself. Bruce had a fun birthday. We went to Dunkin' Donuts and got his fav pink donut. I sent strawberries to preschool so he could have an awesome snack with his class. We went bowling. We played at least a dozen rounds of Candy Land. But Bruce's days as a spoiled singleton are numbered.

Finally!

I am 12 weeks along. I had quite the first trimester. I had a few weeks of ignorance ("this one isn't going to work out anyway") followed by a few weeks of ginger ale and crackers (getting more convinced that it might actually stick around) followed by a 10-week appointment with my doctor where I saw the baby kick around and heard the heartbeat (okay, I'm in love). I cried my eyeballs out at that appointment. I had another ultrasound this morning and everything looks great (i.e. beating heart), so I breathed a big sigh of relief.

Bruce is very, very, very excited about being a big brother. Previous pregnancies he never really understood what was going on. But for some reason, he gets it this time. He knows there's a baby in the uterus and that it's going to "squeeze out when it gets big," as he put it to someone. Some days Bruce wants a brother. Sometimes a sister.

Either is fine with me. I'm totally unprepared either way. After the miscarriage in February, I got rid of our crib and changing table, along with a bunch of baby clothes. Two or three days after I sold the crib on craigslist, I found out I was pregnant.

Life is full of surprises. I'm glad this is a good one.

21 Comments:

Blogger ellen said...

Happy Birthday to Bruce! And hooray for Bruce being a big brother! Very exciting!!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Becky Wexler said...

Congrats! I am a fellow runner who follows your blog and am glad to read your good news!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Shanna said...

Awesome! Glad to hear the good news Emily.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Congratulations! What fantastic news!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Sherie said...

So excited that even though I knew I had to come read the post!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Eisha said...

O my goodness!! That is so exciting! Hooray for a new baby!

6:10 PM  
Blogger mithu said...

WooHOO!!! congrats! when i read the part of you "crying your eyeballs out" i wanted to give you a big big hug and i laughed my duff off after reading bruce's explanation in layman's terms of how a baby is brought into the world! he'll be really good at helping people understand EXACTLY what's happening in whatever he chooses to do/be in life. i am SOOO happy for your good news! if you need anything, let me know!

8:16 PM  
Blogger stephasauri said...

Ahhh! We're so so excited for you guys!

So on mother's day when you told the funny uterus story, I had an inkling that something was in the works, since the uterus isn't a body part that kids usually learn, scientific name or not!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Congratulations! Exciting news! The pictures are great!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Drewmeister said...

Congrats! this is awesome news.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Karyn said...

Happy news! Bruce is getting so big! He will be a great helper when baby comes. Hooray for you!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Karyn said...

And I love the sad cake picture... nice "helping" Scott!

12:31 PM  
Blogger Swoopref said...

Very exciting news... so exciting in fact, that I would think you could have told me!!!

I need to take Conor & Megan to "Boston pin" bowling.

Happy Birthday Bruce!

1:26 AM  
Blogger brittaniemarie said...

What great news! We're really excited for you guys!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Tia said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you. Another baby Raymond on the way, yeah!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

Happy Birthday Bruce! Congrats to you - great news!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Chris & LaTrisha Mars said...

I am so happy for you, that is great Happy belated birthday Bruce. By the way we are coming out in Aug. most likely so we will get to see your prego belly.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Jane D. said...

Congrats, Emily. Such good news! And belated happy birthday to big brother, floor-buffer Bruce.

2:25 PM  
Blogger monicac2 said...

I'm so glad I scrolled down - congratulations on your pregnancy. That is great news!!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Colleen Goodsell said...

That is so exciting. We have a crib and mattress in our basement, if you'd like it for Baby....no babies expected around here for a while!

I'm so happy for your family.
Colleen

8:39 PM  
Blogger Boston Paynes said...

Super Congratulations on the baby !!! YEAH !!! I am so happy & excited for you and so relieved that things are going so well. Can't wait to hear what you are having. Bruce will be such a HUGE helper and it will be great. We are in Vegas now if you ever end up here for a conference I'd love to see you. Good luck with the upcoming move.

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home