Thursday, November 12, 2009

One Step Forward, Three Steps Back

What a week! Every day there is some new disaster. Phoebe has continued to have reflux problems where she spits up, chokes on it, and then drops her heart rate and oxygen saturation. Phoebe has been chowing on breastmilk mixed with formula powder for some extra calories, but I've had my suspicions that the formula was causing the reflux. So on Monday, I convinced the doctor to try feeding her straight breastmilk. It worked - sort of. She stopped having the reflux problems, but stopped gaining weight. Back to the formula mix...

And then on Tuesday, Scott came down with a GI virus. It was a quick one, but for about 12 hours he was either on the couch or in the bathroom.

Wednesday was my turn to get ill. I had a headache, which should have been a red flag since I rarely get headaches, but it wasn't until Wednesday night that I got a fever, chills, and fatigue. When Scott came home, I was laying on the couch wearing my fUggs to stay warm with the house in complete disarray, dinner unmade, and Bruce parked in front of the TV. He freaked out and called a friend to take me to the doctor. I went to the urgent care center and sat around for a few hours - I even fell asleep in the exam room for an hour before the doctor came in - before getting a diagnosis of mastitis and a prescription for antibiotics.

Today I went to visit Phoebe in the morning. I fed her and afterward, she spit up and "spelled." It was her first spell in a few days, but it was considered a feeding spell and not a sleeping spell so it only put us back two days. No prob, right?

This afternoon the doctor called. She said Phoebe has been throwing up all afternoon. They ran a few tests and have ruled out a few things, but it's probably a virus. They gave her an IV and won't feed her tonight so her little belly can rest.

UPDATE (Friday): She's off the IV and back to her normal eating routine. For the past 8 hours since she's been eating, she's been doing fine. Tired, but not ralphing her guts out. Yea! We're trying to go one day without a crisis!

6 Comments:

Blogger Cally Stephens-Nielson said...

I am so sorry that Phobe has a virus. We will be praying for her!

I have had mastitis a few times, and my mom told me to eat a whole fresh pineapple the first time I feel it coming on. I thought she was crazy, but seriously...try it next time. You'll be amazed.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No fun. I'm crossing my fingers for you that Bruce doesn't start barfing...you guys deserve some good luck here soon!!!

9:05 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

Tough week for the Raymonds. :( Hang in there.

9:30 PM  
Blogger The Elledges said...

have you tried a couple different brands of formula? maybe that could help with the reflux?

sorry you've had such a sick week!!!

10:28 PM  
Blogger Chelsi Ritter said...

wow, i'm so sorry emily. what a bummer week. you'll be in our prayers, especially your little one.
by the way, i've got a pair of fUggs, too. i got them when i was prego with aspen, b/c my feet wouldn't fit into anything else. eric made fun of me when i bought them, but i had no choice! fat prego feet.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Eisha said...

ummmm-cry???!

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home