Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Hotel Momma

I've been on some serious bed rest in the hospital. My left arm is tethered to an IV pole that gives me antibiotics, magnesium sulfate to ward off labor, and fluids. My right side is wired to a fetal monitor that tracks baby's heart rate and uterine contractions. I have about a two-foot reach from bed, so everything has to come to me.

Last night the kids came to visit. They think the hospital is "fun" because I have a bed that moves up and down at the touch of a button, a TV that has Cartoon Network, and food brought to me on a tray in bed. Phoebe rubbed my feet, made me a card with a caterpillar on it, and fed me chocolates. Bruce watched Cartoon Network and asked a few serious questions about the baby. He knows what's going on and looked a little scared.

I'm sooooo glad my mom is here taking care of the kids; it gives me much-needed peace of mind knowing that they can hang onto some shred of normalcy while I'm not there. She knows her way around our neighborhood, knows their quirks and routines, and seems to genuinely enjoy filling the need. She took the kids out for Dunkin Donuts on her first day here, so I can only imagine the spoiling that will go on over the next few weeks.

As she focuses on Bruce and Phoebe, I'm focused on keeping this baby in as long as possible. I am reminded that mothers will do anything for their kids. I've grown a double chin, endured painful steroid shots in my thighs, laid in bed and watched 70-degree sunny weather from a window, all in the name of getting this baby here.

And so when I see my mom drop everything at home (and have I mentioned she is a busy lady?!) and catch the next flight to Boston simply because I called, I get it. But I still don't know how to ever repay that - except maybe to do the same for her grandchildren.

Mom, I'm turning into you. And I love it.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes.

I had a similar experience with my first and only pregnancy. It's scary stuff. You have such a good attitude about it, though. I was nowhere near as patient and positive as you seem to be. When you get to meet the new one, it's all worth it. Maybe your positivity comes from having already experienced that.

I have no words of wisdom to provide--you are far wiser about all of this than I--but I just want to wish you and the baby all the best.

Sincerely,

A stranger from the running community

12:05 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Wow! You made me cry. I wish you and your little one the best. So sorry that you are chained to the bed and having to endure Mag sulfate. I will be praying for you.

6:16 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

One of my favorite posts. :)

8:07 PM  
Blogger Cristin said...

Hi Emily-
I am a friend of Scott's sister Lana and I absolutely love your blog. It makes me both laugh and cry and I always look forward to new posts. Just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you and your family and hoping this little guy stays in there as long as possible!

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These blog posts warm my heart. Will come visit soon. Just think of all the stories you, Scott, Bruce and Phoebe will tell the little guy when he is older :)
...and now I know a little more about your mother, I can see where that deep strength and kindness of yours comes from :)

We all love you!!!!

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home