Monday, September 04, 2006

Cape Ann



Happy Labor Day.

This morning I ran the Around Cape Ann 25k. I wasn't really planning on racing it because my legs still aren't recovered from the half-marathon from nine days ago. However, I felt like going for it after a few miles. I had a nice come-from-behind race. My first few miles were between 6:25-6:38 and I sped up to 6:08-10 later. I caught the lead female runner around mile 8 or 9 and held her off until the end. Woohoo. I finished in 1:39:17.

The picture is at the awards ceremony afterwards. The lady standing there won the race like 20 times in a row or something. She presented me with my prizes (a trophy that will go on display at the local YMCA, $250, and an original oil painting by a local artist). Bruce also joined us for the awards. He walked up with a cap to a waterbottle and put it in the trophy cup, then took it out.

Here's a news story about the race...

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/sports/local_story_248095815?keyword=secondarystory

The reporter guy must have been spacing out when talking to me. The article says I took 15 months off to have a baby. I did take a few months off completely and about a year off from racing, but I ran my 20 minutes a day dangit. Anyway, there it is.

Bruce is feeling better today. He had a nasty fever this weekend. He's working on getting those molars out. There are waves of drool coming from his mouth at all hours and he's leaving bite marks on everything. I can't wait until those things are out! He's been so cranky!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your win! It sounds like your Hartford preparation is going really well. That must have been Gillian Horovitz who gave you your award.

I've been a longtime reader of your blog but I haven't commented until now, because last time I tried I had to have a blogger account to do so.

I hope your training continues to go well!

-A fellow Medford resident

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's Gillian Horovitz...married to Israel Horovitz...famous playright. She is the step-mother to one of the Beastie Boys. Summers in Gloucester and lives in NYC. I am sure Tom Derderian can fill you in on her background. Great job at the race! Excellent all-around marathon development plan. Just found your blog. Am loving your racing hair-style and outdoorsy lifestyle...and of course, your kid is WAY cute too. Have confidence in yourself. You may be able to run far faster than you thought at Hartford, dependent on weather. If you play your cards right, you may get your qualifier right there. Good luck. Enjoy following your successes!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Emily-
I read your blog from time to time and I must say, your posts lately have been IMPRESSIVE! You are seriously kicking some bum in racing. Congratulations! I hope you dont mind, but I put a link from my site to yours 'cause I'm proud to be your friend. :)
Keep up the great running!

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home