Sunday, August 31, 2008

Dinner and a Hike


Scott went for a looong hike this weekend. He and his zany friends went to New Hampshire to the Presidential Range, where Mt. Washington is (the mountain he ran up in June). Instead of hiking one mountain, they hiked the entire range. 19 miles going up and down mountains. They started hiking at 5:30 in the morning and finished at 7:00 that night. I asked Scott what his favorite part of the hike was and he said, "the whole thing was fun." He definitely got his "mountain fix," which I think he needs every once in awhile.

While Scott hiked, Bruce and I went to a friend's house (her hubby was also hiking). Bruce ran in circles with kids while we chatted and ate. I had grand visions of painting nails and watching chick flicks, but when it came down to it, I was too tired and found that I really had no desire to paint my nails.

Tonight we invited a few people over for dinner: the missionaries from church, a guy whose wife went out of town for a few weeks, and a new lady at church that just moved from Haiti. I made internet-inspired Haitian food; I found recipes for red beans and rice, pineapple nog, and fried bananas. Perhaps I should know better than to cook Haitian food for a Haitian. Ahhh. Turns out that she brought red beans and rice AND fried bananas too. So we had this totally unplanned cook-off. We all tasted the authentic rice and beans versus my overcooked mushy version. Our bananas turned out like a sugary dessert and hers were saltier. As for the "pineapple nog," she said it was good but that it wasn't Haitian. So much for international internet recipes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home