Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorable Memorial Day

We didn't have big Memorial Day plans. I'd almost forgotten that it was a holiday weekend, or even a weekend for that matter. Scott has been in the lab at all hours every day, preparing to turn his thesis in on Wednesday. Instead of hanging around the house, we jumped on the train and headed to the Museum of Science. I was worried it would be crowded, but it was the least crowded I've ever seen it (yea!). Bruce loves the Rube Goldberg machine in the main entrance and watches it for at least 15 minutes before he remembers that there are a million other things to check out in the museum. I'm pretty sure I owe them some Windex.

We browsed all the typical exhibits and then went to the lightning show. We have somehow always missed this every time we've come before, so I made sure I watched the clock and got to the theater in time. The Museum does a little presentation about electricity, starting off with chat about positive and negative charges and a little balloon rubbed on someone's head. Then they get out a Van de Graff generator and raise someone's hair a little more. This brought back fond memories of the generator we had as a kid; my dad got one, probably just for fun - like that backhoe he got last year. After the mini-van de Graff, the real lightning show began. The gigantic three-story-tall machine built by Mister Van de Graff himself was pumped up until huge sparks jumped out of it. Bruce thought it was really cool, as long as I held my hands over his ears (leaving mine exposed!).

After our morning at the Museum we headed home for a rest and a little dip in the pool before going to a friend's house for dinner. Our friends have a house with a fenced-in yard and a little dog, so Bruce chased the dog around for awhile before discovering the hose. He then watered their garden, the grass, the trees, and then us. What a great day!

Last week was super-busy. I organized a Blood Drive that was on Wednesday. It went really well; we exceeded our donation goal and the Red Cross staff was impressed with all the food and loot we had there. I'd left Bruce with a babysitter for the whole day and at least a dozen people came in and said, "Where's Bruce?" Yes, he is the entertaining one. If I had a cage to keep him in, I would have brought him with me.

Bruce had his 4-year appointment last week. He's gained 4 pounds and grown 4 inches since last year. And he had to get 4 shots, poor guy. When I took his shirt off for his shots, I noticed he had a tick on his back - yuck. He was log-rolling down hills the day before, but I'd given him a bath that morning and hadn't noticed it. Oops. The doctor grabbed some tweezers and pulled it out. Bruce was disappointed that she'd squashed it. For the shots, Bruce sat on my lap and I held his arms down, just like the doctor ordered, then she jabbed the shots into his upper arms. Bruce cried for about 10 seconds during the jab-fest, but didn't struggle at all (I was surprised; I still cried and struggled in high school). He stopped crying altogether when the doctor handed him a coupon for an ice cream cone at the Ben & Jerry's next door. Yes, ice cream is the best pain relief.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karyn said...

Ha ha. You cried for shots in college.
4 inches, 4 pounds, 4 shots...4 is a big year.
Good luck with your thesis Scott.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Janis Mars Wunderlich said...

So does Scott have any ultrasound images of his baby that is due June 10?
Kidding... but seriously, isn't the whole thing about ultrasound?
Oh by the way my best friend is moving to..... BOZEMAN. What the heck.

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home