Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Primary Sunday


About once a year, all the kids in church take over the pulpit and recite a few lines interspersed with songs and such. I was a little nervous with Bruce taking the microphone on a Sunday morning; it's too much power for a little attention-hungry guy like him. To confirm my fear, someone leaned over to me before church started and said, "Of all the kids at church, I love watching Bruce the most because you just never know what he's going to do." Indeed.

The Primary program's theme this year was all about families and Bruce's one line followed along with that theme: "My favorite thing to do with my family is go to the museum." Easy enough, right?

After a few songs and other kids' lines, it's Bruce's turn at the mic. At first he gets all sheepish and shy, resting his head on one hand and checking out the crowd while tight-lipped. His teacher whispers in his ear, "My favorite thing to do is..."

Bruce says, "go to the museum!" really loud. Then he steps back from the mic and looks like he's thinking about something. Then he steps forward again and says, "Ed-na Mode" in a perfectly robotic voice. Argh!

In case you're behind on your Disney movies, particularly "The Incredibles," Edna Mode is the supersuit designer that walks up to a high-security door in the movie and has to scan her retinas and handprint before a microphone pops out of a wall and she says her name - "Ed-na Mode" - into it as a sort of voice recognition test (if you haven't seen it, here's a clip with Bruce's re-enactment around 0:35 seconds). Apparently that was what was going through Bruce's mind in church on Sunday. And out his mouth.

13 Comments:

Blogger ellen said...

Way to go, Bruce! I love when kids add a little spice to Sacrament Meeting!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

That's hilarious! I couldn't figure out what he had said.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Cami said...

I must say, it was definitely my favorite part of the program. That and his ever-so-pleased-with-himself grin afterward.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Swoopref said...

Bruce is wonderful...

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe! We love it! Our program is coming up and you can bet I will be thinking of this comical event then. I love that little character Edna Mode. Sounds like you have a kid with great sense of entertainment skills :) - KT

1:39 AM  
Blogger Eisha said...

Primary Sunday was my favorite as a teenager so I could watch mark pull stunts like that...it must run in the family! My favorite was when Mark decided to play the organ right when there was no song!

4:37 AM  
Blogger The Elledges said...

that line is one of my favorite from the movie! I sure wish I had been there! thanks for making my day with this AWESOME story!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Shelly said...

So I'm the Primary Pres. in our So. Maryland ward. I would just absolutely say that EVERYTHING that happens in Primary to frustrate me would be 100% worth it if I had a kid get up and say that in our presentation (in 2 weeks). You rock, Bruce!

8:16 PM  
Blogger mithu said...

a wonderfully vivid tale of master bruce's antics!! i cracked up OUT LOUD when i read that he blurted out "Ed-na Mode" in a robotic voice...and the funny thing is, i can totally picture him doing this! tell bruce that i love that movie too!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

It needed to be said.

6:04 PM  
Blogger brittaniemarie said...

That is so great! I love that movie, and am known to quote a few lines from time to time, including Bruce's. So funny!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Frozen Cacti said...

I'm still laughing at Cami's comment about Bruce's smile. He's a legend in the making.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AND I MISSED IT!!! I realise it's not so fun for you but he makes so many of us smile!
chandra

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home