Saturday, October 17, 2009

Bright and Sunny Phoebe

Here she is: beautiful Phoebe being pampered by Grandma, who jumped on a plane when she heard the news of her impending arrival. I called my mom at 7 a.m. on Friday and informed her I was going to have a baby within the next day or two. Here's the story: my water broke on Thursday morning (more like middle of the night) and I went to the hospital that morning to be checked out. It was just a trickle and the doctor that checked me out said it was normal to have a little leakage and she sent me home. I felt stupid since she pretty much thought I peed my pants and I'd just wasted the morning in the hospital. I went throughout the rest of the day leaking slowly and entertaining the occasional contraction. Thursday night the trickle turned to a gush and contractions started coming every 2-3 minutes so we trekked back to the hospital. The same doctor was still on-call and admitted that my water had finally broken and perhaps that morning I just had a "premonition" (no lady, it really did break). I sat in labor for a few hours and then had a detailed ultrasound to see how much fluid was left inside to estimate how much time I had before she needed to come out. When that ultrasound was done, it was discovered that her umbilical cord was squashed below her head. The pressure of the water rushing out had sort of "flushed" it down below her and now her head was close to smashing it and cutting it off. I was really bummed about having another C-section (I'd read all kinds of books and watched a bunch of videos about natural childbirth and was prepared to do the deed unmedicated), but excited just the same to have the baby. The surgery went quick and she came out a healthy pink color and screaming - just perfect.
Phoebe has long, skinny fingers and toes that splay outward when given the chance. She has skinny feet that look much too big for her little body. These traits are inherited from Scott, but she has my ears and nose. And of course, Bruce's puffy mouth. She has really dark brown hair right now. I'm not sure if it will stay that way, but she has a punk rock look going for her right now - the I was just born yesterday hairstyle. Phoebe is doing very well. She's in the NICU for at least a week and perhaps a little more for good measure, but she won't be in for too long. She is doing remarkably well: breathing great, skin tone is great, eating great. All of the nurses are impressed by her resilience. Tonight I helped one of the nurses by holding Phoebe while she placed an IV. My job was to keep her hand from swatting around and to hold a sugar-water-coated pacifier in her mouth while the nurse poked her. A little of that sugar and Phoebe was entranced (much like Bruce and Smarties); she didn't even squirm when the IV was placed.
Phoebe is a name of one of my ancestors and means "bright and sunny" - a fitting name as she was our ray of sunshine on Friday while it rained and snowed outside. The name Lorraine comes from Scott's Grandma Leavitt, who is also a ray of sunshine herself.

14 Comments:

Blogger Crist Family said...

Congratulation. The name is perfect and I'm so glad she is hear and healthy. What a joy. Keep us updated on how she does in the NICU and how you are healing!
Love,
The crist family

12:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear Phoebe is doing so well. Hope you are feeling well too. She is cute as can be.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Eisha said...

Emily! Thomas was a c-section due to cord prolaps also. When I had the c-section I was unconscious, were you awake? Great pix and good luck!

3:16 AM  
Blogger rebecca said...

I'm in the 2 time c-section club too:) So glad all went well and Phoebe is here safe and sound. She's precious!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Suz said...

Soooo cute! Congratulations! Glad that she is here to stay and that you are surviving. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Best wishes!

4:55 PM  
Blogger SLP said...

Congratulations! I definitely see Bruce in her!
Get lots of rest before she returns home:)
Hugs,
Stacey

9:09 AM  
Blogger TheKunks said...

Oh Emily...what a beautiful baby! Of course she is tough not even flinching at the IV - she has your genes!! Sorry about the dreaded C. Way to be prepped for the vbac "deed." Too funny about the comparisons with her and your man. Smarties...:) KT

1:11 PM  
Blogger brittaniemarie said...

She is beautiful! We're so happy for you guys. Congrats!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Jodi and Jesse said...

She is adorable. Welcome Phoebe!

1:40 PM  
Blogger monicac2 said...

Congratulations!! She definitely looks like all three of you. I'm glad she's healthy and doing well!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Chelsi Ritter said...

emily she's soooo beautiful! and so preciously tiny. congrats again.

1:57 PM  
Blogger tmk said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful!

6:16 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

Emily and Fam-
Congratulations! She is so pretty. I'm glad she is doing well.

Elisabeth

8:08 AM  
Blogger pkeller said...

Congratulations Emily and Scott! Phoebe is beautiful. She looks a lot like Bruce. Hope everyone is doing well. Love, Phyllis & Bob Keller

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home