Monday, October 12, 2009

"Honest to Blog"

My friend, Tiffany, tagged me as an "honest blogger," so here are ten honest facts about me. And I figured as long as I was putting up this "honest" post, I might as well put up a picture of my big fat belly since all my far-away family has been asking to see it. Yep, it's for real. Doesn't get more honest than that.

1. I ate a piece of cake tonight. And it wasn't vegan. I went to a birthday party and abstained from the cake because I knew it wasn't cholesterol-free. Then the hosts sent some cake home with me. I gave one piece to Scott and was going to put the other in the fridge for him for later. Then I made the mistake of smelling it. Lemon. Dangit, I love lemons. Screw heart disease. I ate it.

2. I can be a cheapskate. Tonight I did all the dishes rather than run the dishwasher because I wanted to use cooler water and conserve oil (the water in this house is heated by oil and once this tank is gone, it's gone. I do not want to pay a few hundred bucks to fill it right before we move out!). On a related note, I'm convinced that we're not going to turn on the heaters in this house for that same reason; let's hope it doesn't get too cold before mid-November.

3. But I'm not a cheapskate about other things. Olives, for instance. I bought cheapo black olives because Bruce was eating all my expensive kalamata olives. Unfortunately we discovered today that he only likes putting those on his fingers, but does not want to eat them. He still wants to eat the pricey olives.

4. I own fake Uggs. My parents got them on eBay for my little sister, but when they received them they discovered that they were fakes. So they bought a new real pair for my sister and filed a complaint about the other pair. They got their money back and were told to get rid of the boots - but not by selling them on eBay. They gave them to me. I lovingly call them my "fUggs."

5. I just wrote out a Thank You note today for someone that did me a favor in July. And that's not my worst: I gave someone a Thank You note for something from Bruce's baby shower when he was almost three years old. I really am grateful, people. I'm just a little slow.

6. I cut Scott's and Bruce's hair myself. Scott's looks good most of the time. Bruce, however, has been very wiggly the past two haircuts and so has a few shaggy spots and a few super-closely-shaved spots. He's young and doesn't care, right?

7. I don't mind Scott being in school forever. I've heard the term "thesis widow" a few times, and it makes me cringe every time I hear it. Sure, there were some lonely moments and lots of long hours and late nights, but when Scott did come home he was happy. And now that the PhD is over and we're on to the MD, I still have no complaints. Scott comes home giddy with all the cool stuff he's learning. I can't ask for more.

8. I love being pregnant. I had a long conversation with someone today about how awesome it is. I love feeling the baby move around. I love getting a seat on the subway and having people ask if they can help me carry my groceries out. I love love love it.

9. Here it is: I honestly didn't care about the baby's gender. A few people have asked, "You really didn't have a preference?" Nope. At that point, I didn't care what kind of baby it was. I was/am so baby-crazy that dressing it in blue or pink was beside the point. She's a girl and I'm thrilled that she's a girl, but I would have been just as thrilled with a boy. Really.

10. I hate speaking in public. I've done it a few times, but only when I was asked to and only when I had every word written beforehand. Most recently I was asked to speak in church. Scott laughed at me for writing down, "Good morning." But I don't trust my brains to remember even that short phrase when I'm at the microphone.

There it is. "Honest to blog." (a quote from Juno)

8 Comments:

Blogger Strong Clan said...

Emily can I just say I LOVE you! I just said to Will "One day you are going to meet Emily and realize why I love her and why we have stayed friends." You make me smiley! Love you. Love the preggo you!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

To number 8: Most definitely agree with you.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Doc said...

I love that you love being pregnant. I wish you a lifetime of being pregnant!!!!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Mike Barton said...

Your whole blog made me laugh...we are opposites :) I need to stop eating cake and I hated being pregnant--all the vomiting, soreness, not being able to tie your shoes....ooooh and all that waddling towards the end. How can you love such a condition???

4:15 PM  
Blogger Chelsi Ritter said...

two things: i loved this post; way to be so honest! it's refreshing.
second, how exciting about your condo!? that's so wonderful, and it sounds "eric approved". where is the location? you know, in general terms.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

let's hope not! I want to get some sleep one of these days.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love your honesty about the thank you notes. I have been carrying around thank you notes from Adler's babyshower in my bag for months but don't have the address. I keep telling myself that I am going to get the address and send them. Then another month goes by.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Shell said...

For your sake and for the new baby's sake, I hope it doesn't get cold and you don't have to turn on your heat!
Love the post, congrats on the new one. Here's to a speedy recovery.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home