Friday, July 01, 2011

Racing to the race


Last night I raced a 5-miler. The start was at 6:45 p.m. and it was a miracle that I got there on time. When Baby J was picked up at 5:30, I had a friend come to watch the kids until 6:30 when Scott would get home. I ran out the door (literally) and ran to the train station. I caught a train (after giving a shout out to Ellen across the tracks) and put my hair into its traditional 'do while elbowing other people in the face. I arrived at the train station closest to the race at 6:17. I warmed up by running from the station to the race start, which was about 2.5 miles away. I made it there at 6:35. With 10 minutes to go, I grabbed my bib number, visited the ladies room, and pulled my racing flats on. I made it to the start and off we went. The crowd thinned out quickly and soon I was chasing boys, picking them off one by one. I wound up fifth overall and first for women in 31:32. I grabbed a few water bottles, took a few pictures of the Boston skyline (above is the view from the finish line), and skipped the post-race party of beer and hot dogs (what is a vegetarian who doesn't drink alcohol to do?!) for a cooldown back to the train station. Here's today's event coverage and a big picture of my noggin at the Patriot-Ledger. I'm glad I got to race, and can't wait to do it again next weekend - although at a much quicker pace and with less stress in getting to the start line.
(that's my reflection, taking a picture of Boston while going over the Charles River on the train post-race - this is my favorite section of the T, between MGH and Kendall Square)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger ellen said...

It was fun to see you last night across the train tracks! I was curious about your hair and smiled when I saw you fixing it in your traditional race do! Sounds like you cut it close getting there and got a blue ribbon!!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Eisha said...

that's pretty much amazing.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Congratulations Emily!

12:27 PM  
Blogger runfaster said...

you are waaaayyyy hard core! Congrats on a great time! -Anna*

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home