Monday, February 11, 2013

Boston Blizzard

On Friday morning, I went for a nice quiet run. School had already been cancelled and the streets were quiet as everyone prepared for the coming storm. Around noon, light snow started to fall. The wind picked up a little. Soon there was a dusting on the street. (Excuse the ugly photos, but this lovely parking garage/ office building is the scenic view I get when looking out my living room window - nice)
 The wind steadily picked up until it was howling and gusting into a full blizzard (sustained 30+ mph winds with 70+ mph gusts) by the evening. The snow stuck to the windows and blew sideways and every which way. When we went to bed, there were 3-4 inches of snow on the ground.
 When we woke up, there was nearly 2 feet of snow on the ground. Scott still had to be at work by 7 a.m., so he woke up early, dug out the parking garage entrance, packed his shovel and emergency supplies into the car, and ventured off. There was a state-wide ban on driving so as to avoid this situation (from the 1978 blizzard)...
...but the ban didn't apply to healthcare and emergency workers. So Scott set off, took a few detours to avoid big drifts, stuck to streets that had been somewhat plowed, and made it to the hospital without getting stuck.
 It snowed another couple inches on Saturday morning, the wind quieted down a bit, and the kids and I watched lots of plows and construction vehicles roll by.
 We ventured out onto the sidewalk. Someone had shoveled a small path by our building, but once it ended we either waded through waist-high drifts or walked right on the road. People were cross-country skiing down the usually busy streets; it was surreal.
 We found a pile of snow that didn't have a car under it and tried to go sledding, but the snow was so fluffy that we sunk down faster than we could get to the bottom of the tiny pile.
By Saturday afternoon, snow shovels were in demand as people were digging their cars out of the mess. Bruce and our neighbor found a tunnel someone dug and played in it for a long time. Phoebe happily ate the snow and was pulled around in the snow, but had a hard time walking through it. In the end, we got 25 inches of snow, with drifts up to 6 feet in places. This is a storm the kids will remember.

Labels: ,


Blogger Strong Clan said...

My Dad was asking about you. And then told me every detail about the blizzard of 1978. He was a junior at Bryant college. He said that his old beat up car was covered in snow, and he had to "save" girls from the local bar by digging them out a trail to their apartment. My dad the player...
Stay safe! Run safe! Protect that growing belly!!

9:41 PM  
Anonymous kole said...

Looks like it was quite the blizzard!

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home