Friday, September 29, 2006

Photokina 2006

Greetings from Germany! I'm in Cologne at Photokina 2006, one of the biggest camera conventions in the world. It only happens every two years, thank goodness. The work is grueling. I get up early and write about cameras, I go to the show and look at more cameras, then I spend hours in the press room and on the hotel lobby's couch writing about cameras. I've had enough of cameras. Here are a few pictures from the trip...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41163994@N00/sets/72157594297422968/

Europe isn't as fabulous as I thought it'd be. The train system here makes the T look like nothing. I have to take a train from the hotel to the convention center; it takes about an hour.

Coming by cholesterol free food is nearly impossible. I've been eating couscous and peanut butter and jelly on a regular basis. Last night I got "Gut Blee" which the waiter told me was some house in the country with a vegetable garden. It sounded like an interesting dish. Sure enough. It was a gigantic baked potato with about a pint of sour cream on top and surrounded by grilled and steamed vegetables.

One food I have found that is excpetionally tasty is the chocolate. There is an Aldi two blocks from the hotel that sells a huge bar of dark chocolate for half a euro. I'm on my second bar now. Yum.

Running has been difficult here. I work such ridiculously long hours that the sun just isn't up much when I'm free. I don't want to run early in the morning here. It's bad enough running around Boston when the sun isn't up. But since I don't know a lick of German and I'm fairly directionally impaired, I've been running in the sun here. That means I have to do it when I get back from the convention center, which has been about 6:45-7:15 most days. The sun goes down around 7:50, so that doesn't leave much time to run. I have 15 days left to the Hartford Marathon! And this week, it's taken me four days of running to get up to 26.2. Oh dear. Hopefully next week goes better.

I miss Scott and Bruce so so so so much. My phone doesn't work here, so I'm stuck with email. Scott emailed me one morning and told me how Bruce was rubbing pretzels into his pants and making mischief and I was totally jealous. I'd so much rather be there! I will be soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home