Monday, September 11, 2006

Five Miles in 28 minutes, 47 seconds

The weekend was fabulous. And yes, it involved running. I feel like these posts are getting really boring to non-runners. Sorry. You'll be happy to know that I'm taking a break from racing for about a month to prepare for my fall marathon.

I ran the USATF-NE Grand Prix 5-mile championships on Saturday. I thought for sure that would be the end of my winning streak, but the stars aligned and I won it! Scott and Bruce went and cheered. I passed Scott just after mile 2 and he had Bruce in one arm and the camera in the other. He is definitely my best fan. I finished in 28:47. I didn't know I'd won until later though. There were so many people in the race that I couldn't tell if there were any girls ahead of me or not. Then I went on a looooong marathon-style cooldown with my teammates and missed the awards ceremony. Oops.

After the race, I went home and took Bruce to the park so Scott could get some work done in the lab. Bruce loves to swing and loves to shove mulch chips through the tiny holes in the playground equipment. After an hour of that, I was starving. So we walked to the grocery store and got cholesterol-free ice cream sandwiches. We walked home and Bruce and I ate four of them. It's more like I ate 3.75 ice cream sandwiches and he had 0.25. They just weren't that filling. I checked the box and they were fat-free too. No wonder they didn't taste like much.

Scott and I watched the Ohio State-Texas game Saturday night. Scott even bought an antenna for our tv so we could actually get a clear picture. We don't get cable or anything because we don't watch much tv, so we've always had about 4 channels. I think we're up to 7 channels now. Anyway, we cheered the Buckeyes to their 24-7 win. It was actually a pretty boring game because they were so much better than the Longhorns, but watching it was still a nice break from working.

Scott's birthday was this week. He doesn't like huge parties and fuss, so I just cooked him all of his favorite foods that day. I made him apple muffins for breakfast. Bruce and I drove to the lab at lunchtime and we had a picnic of honey ham and provolone sandwiches. For dinner, we had homemade bread and borscht (Russian beet soup). I didn't go all out on a cake though; I had an extra small chocolate cake in the freezer and leftover icing from the birthday party we had a few weeks ago. We still have to make a carrot cake to celebrate Scott's birthday though. He loves that stuff. I got Scott a bookbag for his birthday. He always carries his laptop and about forty pounds of textbooks in his shoulder bag, then he complains about his sore back. Hmm. Something about carrying a zillion textbooks on one shoulder, then balancing Bruce and a camera will take a toll on the back.

This post is getting long and Bruce just found the DVD button on my laptop. He keeps pushing the button, it pops out, I push it back in real quick before he can rip it off, he laughs, I continue typing, he does it again. So I'd better go.

Oh and by the way, I just barely figured out how to moderate comments, so they will appear now. Sorry about that. I had to wade through some spam about mortgage loans and diaper cakes though, so I'm glad I have a choice on which to post. Take your ads elsewhere!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can keep the ads out but still allow friends to comment without moderating comments.

Just click on the settings tab, you'll see another bar appear just below the tabs, click on comments.

Scroll down until you see one that says something like "Turn on word verification for comments" Click on yes.

Then right below it "Turn on comment moderation" Click on No.

Viola.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a fellow blogger--one not nearly as fast as you, but I did live in Somerville until June--and I just wanted to say that I am so impressed with the way that you balance high-level running with family and work. Keep up the good work--as I recover from an injury I will keep checking your blog for inspiration!

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the latest win! It's getting hard to keep track of them all.

10:23 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

This non-runner likes your blog!

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great race at Ollie! My husband was racing, so I was there watching. I saw you about 200 meters from the finish. I almost yelled out that you were the first woman, but I figured you knew. Next time I'll have to let you know!

6:32 PM  
Blogger The Colorado Raymonds said...

Hi Emily:

Did you know that your Scott and Lana's Scott both went out and purchased TV antennas on the same day to watch the Ohio State game.

http://scottandlana.blogspot.com/2006/09/yesterday-we-went-to-kirtland-again.html

Just thought you should know that little piece of triva.

Love you,
RayDad

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home