Monday, February 09, 2009

64 Years Ago Today


My grandpa served in the Navy in World War II. He wrote hundreds of love letters to my grandma, who saved all of them. A few years ago my mom compiled the letters into a book. My grandpa wrote almost every day and sometimes even twice a day, but there is a month-long break in the letters between Jan. 9 and Feb. 9 of 1945. That's when my grandfather went home and married my grandma. Here's his first letter to her as a married man.

Feb. 9th, 1945
U.S.S. Iowa 5th Div.
c/o Fleet Post Office
San Francisco, Calif.

My Darling Wife,

I am writing this letter while on watch honey, so don't mind the writing. You see I'm cramped up in a little space here and can't sit up.

There isn't a lot to write about darling, but I love you and that's the important thing. I still haven't had any liberty since I've been back dear, but that doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I don't miss it since I'm married. The only thing I really miss is you honey and believe me I'd give my right arm to see you now.

What have you been doing honey, besides looking beautiful? You know I've got the most beautiful wife in Akron, and that's no lie. In fact the best I've ever seen.

I'm expecting to hear from you possibly today or tomorrow honey, at least I'm hoping. I've got my fingers crossed any ways.

Honey, if I rate liberty on or after the twentieth I'll call you up, so be looking for a call, okay? Hearing your voice will make me feel a little better, and I sure need a little morale, since I came back.

I haven't written to anyone except you since I've been here, so if my sisters should happen by, tell them I'll write when I get time - I've been so busy honey, that it isn't funny. I even have to write to you while on watch or at night.

Honey how do you like married life? I love it, and I told my buddy that. Now I've got him talked into getting married.

Darling, on the train I was asleep and a Shore Patrol came through looking at leave papers. I was half asleep yet and I gave him our marriage certificate (by mistake). He read it to all the boys and now my hand's a little sore from shaking so much.

Well darling, I'm just about out of words, so I guess I'll just have to close. I'm having one of my buddies mail this on the beach so I hope you get them quicker. Tell your mother I said hello, and dear, I love you.

Your Loving Husband,
V.L. Tompkins
5th Div.

P.S. Don't forget the pictures honey!

3 Comments:

Blogger ellen said...

That is a very sweet letter! Way better than a text or email!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Watauga Relief Society said...

I agree with ellen. I keep every note, card or letter I get from my "Darling". I'm so glad you have these! There is so much to a handwritten note/letter.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

Wow, they sure knew how to write love letters back then!

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home