Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Freaking Out!

The marathon is in a few days and I'm starting to freak out. I got a stuffy nose yesterday and I'm getting a sinus headache today. Hooray. I shoved Zicam up my nose and sucked on zinc losenges. And helped myself to some orange juice today. Nothing is working yet.

Right about now is when I start having dreams about missing the start, cramping up on mile two, getting hypothermic on mile ten, and feeling shot the last few miles. I guess those are more accurately called "nightmares" than dreams.

I've been watching the weather forecast every day. Last week the forecast called for 54 degrees, clouds and sunshine on Marathon Monday. Perfect. A few days ago a chance of showers was added and the temperature cooled a bit. Today the forecast is for mid-40s, heavy rain at times, and a 20 mph headwind. The wind is the worst because Boston is run all in one direction: east toward the ocean. Windy windy windy.

My goals may have to be realigned with the weather. On a perfect day, I would want to run sub-2:47 (Olympic Trials qualifying time). On a good day, I would want to run sub-2:49 (Greater Boston Track Club women's marathon record). On a decent day, I would want to run sub-2:52 (my PR). Any other day, I guess I'd probably just want to finish without completely ralphing my guts out. Any guesses on what kind of day it will be?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Emily!
I would venture to say that your recent symptoms are probably related to nerves at least a bit, but in any case along with vit C and zinc you could try Echinacea & Goldenseal. Both work to strengthen your immune system and Goldenseal is correlated to improving the functioning capacity of such organ systems as the heart and lungs. Can't hurt for Monday, right?
From reading some of your recent blogs it's obvious that you are in incredible shape and ready to roll! Forget the weather issues and simply stay positive! I can't wait to follow your race...Good luck and Kick Butt!!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Boston Paynes said...

Never trust the Boston weather reports, they are usually wrong anyways. This will be your best race yet. Good Luck !!

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I predict a perfect run.

No, I know ... I have a surefire prediction ... your run will be ...

F A S T !!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited for you and can't wait to read all about it!

1:42 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

You are going to be awesome and I'll be at Mile 19 to cheer you on! Hopefully lots of people will be with me if they brave the weather. GOOD LUCK!!!

6:20 PM  
Blogger The Colorado Raymonds said...

Hi Emmy:

You will be great. We will be thinking of you on Monday. We hope you don't freeze. Nancy set a personal record today at the Billing's meet in the mile so that is good Karma. We look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

Love you,
Bruce and Valerie

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Best of luck! Just remember what Coach used to say: "We're good mudders at Field." You'll be fine. Then you can use my new favorite Chazz Michael Michaels [Will Ferrell] quote: "My victory in Boston was as sweet as the creme pie from the city it's named after."

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home