Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Marathon Monday

My bro, Dave, dyed his hair blue and made it very easy for us to find him. We stood at mile 19 and cheered him on; he even came over to give his wife and son a kiss before running to the finish.
He was hoping for a faster time, but kindof tanked in the last few miles of the race. He ran a smoking fast half-marathon; the last half just wasn't very forgiving.

After Dave ran by, the fam jumped in the cars. The toddlers headed home and I took a few downtown to go find Dave. Amazingly we found him without much trouble. He crossed the line at 2:54 and said it was one of his worst marathons yet. These blisters sure didn't help.
The women's race was one of the closest in a few years. The lady in dark blue (#7) ended up with the win - and $150,000.
This is my friend, Megha, who was my running partner for more than a year before she moved on to business school in California. We trained for Boston together last year. And here she is this year in the "elite start"! Way to go Megha! (I was so excited to see her that I totally forgot to take a decent picture...)
This guy smoked by and won his fourth Boston Marathon easily.
This is Dave's night-before pre-race ritual: an ice bath. His son, Eldon, took his clothes off and climbed in. Kids are nuts.
I would just like to say that I have the best husband ever. While the rest of us were glued to the sideline searching for Dave, Scott entertained two high-energy toddlers and changed Bruce's poopy pants twice this weekend! (potty-training lapsed this weekend, but has since returned to normal thank goodness) Scott has always been there to support my running, and here he is supporting my spectating of running! I love this guy!

The boys clapped and rang cowbells for a little bit. At one point, Eldon chucked a bouncy ball onto the course. Oops.
Here's my youngest brother, Ben, who woke up to see the Battle of Lexington with me and then came out to cheer for Dave. What a trooper!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

Wow, I could barley run a mile in 3 hours, (ok I am not that bad but sometimes it feels like it). Jake wants to run an ultra marathon. He is training hard for it. Do you have any suggestions for him?

12:59 AM  
Blogger Karyn said...

Hooray for Dave... even though it wasn't his best performance. I love how excited you get about runners. You are like paparazzi. :)

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how exactly does a premarathon ice bath improve running time? I'm seriously curious about that. Sorry you could run with your brother this year.
Chandra

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home