Monday, May 05, 2008

Week in Review

This morning Bruce had his friend over. They did the usual: hide-and-seek, trains, cars, etc. Then we made cupcakes for a change. Some of my best childhood memories are licking out the bowl of cookie dough and cake batter. Not sure if they'll remember this in a few years, but they sure were cute.
We went outside to play and checked a bird's nest that has been in production for a few weeks: a piece of string here, a few more twigs there. Today there was a bright blue egg in it. We probably scared off the mom. Oops.
But isn't it gorgeous?
We planted our gardens last week. Yes, that's plural - although it's really just two very small plots. I put our peas, tomatoes, and a few herbs in the sunny garden plot. We had to dig a zillion weeds, roots, and rocks out of this mess. We used a few of the rocks as stepping stones, and built a mini retaining wall to keep the soil from eroding by the waterspout.
Here's our row of peas. Bruce is very excited about these. We grew some peas last year and he ate them straight out of the pod as soon as they were big enough.
Here's our shade garden, also with huge rocks in it. I'm beginning to understand why there are so many stone fences around New England.
On Friday night I headed up a dinner theater activity at church. A hundred people came and brought salads, fruits, and rolls. I bought 60 pounds of chicken for the event and a lady at church baked it up into sweet and sour chicken for everyone. The evening went well with a lovely dinner, musical entertainment, and some mingling and dancing. Lucky for everyone we found some volunteers to babysit all the kids (and there were a lot!).
Lots of food.
Thank goodness for Costco cakes. Huge, cheap, and yummy (nowhere near my Grandma's cakes but top-of-the-line as far as store-bought goes).

In other news, Scott is using every spare minute (which is unfortunately not that many) to study for the MCAT. And this week's day-to-day business involves preparing for his thesis committee meeting this Friday! Poor Scott has a rough week ahead.

As for me, I'm just excited for my MRI on Friday. I'm definitely not excited about the giant needle they'll use to inject my hip with contrast agent, but I'm very hopeful that I'll get an accurate diagnosis and proper treatment finally.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chelsi Ritter said...

emily that's so awesome you have a garden! where is it though? i can't wait to have some land to have my own! herbs, tomatoes, corn and carrots....yum!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Karyn said...

nice peas. you could do a nice rock garden. (low maintenance... but not yummy)

12:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Keep us updated on all the hip/MCAT stuff.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home