Thursday, March 10, 2011

Speechless Phoebe

Posted by Picasa
Phoebe doesn't have much to say these days. She is supposed to be saying 5-15 words by 15 months, and 20 words by 18 months, but she's not saying more than "mom," "dad," and "no" (which she's said once, but she meant it!). She's 17 months. We started Early Intervention, which we did with Bruce because he had motor skill delays and now with Phoebe because of language delays.

Early Intervention is a state-funded program for developmentally delayed kids under three years old. A social worker from the program comes to our home once a week and plays games with Phoebe to try and get her to communicate. Words haven't come yet, but Phoebe learned to sign "more" this week. Today Bruce and I baked cookies and she scooted up to the counter and signed "more" while grunting at the bag of chocolate chips. I'm trying to reward her for making signs, so I gave her a few chocolate chips. She signed again, and I rewarded her again. She figured out the game and is now a proficient signer. Next, we need to break our chocolate chip habit.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger j. said...

Too funny... as I was reading the first paragraph I thought, "I should suggest signing" but you're on it! The relationship between signing and speaking is so incredible. I still to this day see the significance of it in Andrew's language/reading. I have lots of books and materials if you want to borrow anything. Keep it up! xoxo

9:50 PM  
Blogger a.k.a. Olivia said...

my mom works with a similar program in Columbus. Hope that Phoebe speaks up more soon. Although maybe once she starts talking, you'll fondly remember quieter days!

11:08 PM  
Blogger TheKunks said...

Way to be on top of it Mama and know the milestones. I need to read up on those. Love that she does the more sign for taste choco chips. Z did it for french fries. Yikes!

1:05 AM  
Blogger Cally Stephens-Nielson said...

Good luck. I have done approximately ten gazillion hours of therapy and early intervention with Harvey, and he has come a very long way. We should talk sometime. I have 3.5 years worth of hard-won tips and tricks for making the worlds most resistant child speak. Entire sentences.

I have a feeling with a little therapy, you will nip this right in the bud. Kudos to you for recognizing and acknowledging it so quickly.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Eisha said...

http://www.signingtime.com/shop/age-range/toddlers

used them when they came out with their first DVD. Olivia had a first sign before a first word and was signing before 12 mo and mary would just copy their talking and was a crazy talker. Thomas I didn't do it with (just play the movies) and he didn't talk. then I started them at 15 mo and he was TALKING in about a week. Sadly, they are expensive now, when I got them they were like $10.00....but I swear by them!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Eisha said...

Don't buy them... I will just mail you mine b/c I can't watch them in Australia as they are American DVDs (long story) but you CAN'T KEEP THEM, b/c I "might" have another kid and by the time they can watch the movies (so in two years at the earliest) I will need them back. :-) but for now just have her watch them and by the time I need them she will be all grown up!

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home