Sunday, April 29, 2007

Bringing the Spunk Back

Bruce is back to his rambunctious self. He was feeling better mid-week and very active this weekend. We went to a 2-year-old's birthday party yesterday where Bruce ate a piece of chocolate cake and ignored all the other kids by playing with the birthday girl's brother's trucks the entire time. Photos include 1) Bruce chilling in his PJs, 2) Bruce in his native habitat playing with his "choo-choos", and 3) Bruce helping me gather the trash to take outside.
I'm feeling better and better from the marathon. Thursday was the first day that I felt like it was worth getting out of bed to run. Unfortunately I had bad experience running on Saturday. I ran early and by myself because I had a dental appointment at 8 and a bunch of GBTC teammates were going running at 8:30. Sometime during the last quarter-mile of my run some guy started following me in his car. I didn't notice him until I was already on my front steps pulling my key off my shoelaces. I looked behind me and there he was staring from an open window in his car about 20 ft from me on the street. Once I caught sight of him, he started moving slowly. I started jogging around to the back of the house and he sped up real fast, did a U-turn at the end of my street, and came back. I poked my head out from behind my house to see if he was there. Yep. So I bolted inside and up the stairs, locking doors behind me. I ran to the front window and he was gone by the time I got there. I went to the police station and told them my story, but I didn't have much info (no make, model, license number - dangit, it all happened in about 20 seconds). They asked me stupid questions (no, I never wear an iPod while running) and gave me a whistle. Yea.
I told a few neighbors what to look for and I will be driving to my running partner's house in the mornings rather than running the ten minutes to meet her. And maybe even carrying the whistle. I hate carrying stuff when I run. But this experience was a reminder that there are still creepy dudes out even early on a Saturday morning.


Anonymous Alison said...

I live in the same town that you do, and I'm sure you've heard that a woman was sexually assaulted walking home from a bus stop there last weekend. I've felt a little more on edge since I heard about it, especially since I run by that spot nearly every day. I'm glad to hear that you're being careful.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Boston Run Gals said...

Emily - really scary stuff. I'm also glad you're being careful. Perhaps you and Megha should find some new running routes - 2 tiny little runners are not much scarier than 1 tiny little runner to a mean dude in his car.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home