Monday, October 13, 2008

Tuft's 10K



Today was the Tuft's 10K. This is my fifth in a row and I was happy to finish it. I lined up with the strollers behind about 7,000 women and ran with some friends from church - one of whom pushed a gigantic double stroller. It took me about four minutes to shuffle over the starting line and then I clicked off a few 11 or 12-minute miles. This was definitely a different experience than in year's past. I passed thousands of runners and walkers - many pushing strollers, wearing fanny packs, donning skorts (eww!), and I even saw two women dressed up as Sarah Palin "running for VP" - and there was a lot of dodging and zig-zagging in between runners. I'd never noticed quite how cramped a two-lane road can be with that many runners.

I could feel some pinching in my hip, but it didn't feel like it was dislocating or breaking, so by the fifth mile I decided to ditch my friends and open up my stride a bit. I always laughed at those people who ran most of a race insanely slow only to sprint the final stretch at world-record time. Here I was, one of them. I covered the last 1.2 miles in just over 8 minutes - this definitely goes with the race's theme of Start Strong, Finish Stronger - and finished with a handshake from Ms. Benoit-Samuelson herself.

So far, I can walk. My hip hurts, but I didn't sustain any permanent damage (at least anything new!); thus, it was a success. I finished in 2,172nd place with a blazing 59:06 chip time (1:03:21 gun time - counting all that time to shuffle past the starting line).

Hurray for five years of Tuft's 10Ks.

2008 - 59:06 - the year of the Stupid Hip.
2007 - 37:26 - not my best, but not my worst.
2006 - 39:49 - ran this at marathon pace 5 days before the Hartford Marathon.
2005 - 39:22 - five months after a C-section.
2004 - 36:54 - pregnant with Bruce, just didn't know it.

3 Comments:

Blogger eldonmars said...

Slow times make the fast times feel better. You'll get there, just wait!
Nice job on your last mile. Right now you're showing your love for running...soon enough it'll show some love to you.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Watauga Relief Society said...

you are awesome!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Sherie said...

wow, you are amazing! Injured you run my normal speed! I'd die happy to run a 7min/mile!

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home