Friday, October 03, 2008

My one homeless night

My lease ran out on one apartment, but the other one didn't start for a few days. So one night my roommate, Anika, and I stayed in the fieldhouse. The other two nights we slept on friends' couches....

April 27, 2002: My housing contract ended today. So Hampton #7 is no more my home. The landlady's son is moving in today at noon. I was still cleaning and such when he came. I finished up and left with Keith and Anika. I put all my boxes and storage at Karyn's. Then I put my summer stuff at the fieldhouse. We went to a high school track meet for awhile. It poured rain. I was wearing BYU sweats, so I was like a sponge. After getting very cold and wet, we went to lunch at Olive Garden. I got soup and salad, so I warmed up. Keith challenged me with a double dog dare that he could eat more breadsticks than me. I won. Keith dropped me and Anika off at the fieldhouse. I organized my locker and all. Then I showered and dressed. Anika and I walked to Macey's and bought breakfast and stuff to last us through Sunday. We got a ride back to the fieldhouse from a friend Anika saw at Macey's. Then we got in our PJs and grabbed our blankets and headed for the gymnastics room. We had no problems getting in. We got the code from the polevaulters. We dug a hole in the foam pit. It's made of these 8" x 8" foam blocks. The pit is about 10 feet deep and really wide. We dug our way to the bottom then put flat mats at the bottom. We threw our blankets down and put a mat up against a cable so if someone walked in the door, they couldn't see us. I kept digging and Anika went and jumped on the trampoline. It was about 10 p.m. - when the fieldhouse closes - so I called her over and warned her to be quiet. She said something like "whatever" and the door opened. We ducked behind the mat and lay flat and still. The security guard turned out the lights and shut the door. We stayed still. We could hear him walk to the other door to lock it. I got that scared adrenalin rush where I'm so alert, then when I relax I feel like I've run a 10K. I took a picture with my camera of Anika's face - she was scared too. We didn't want to get caught! After my flash went off, more lights went off. They were from a window at the top of the room. There's another floor up there and the guard must have turned out the lights there. We were afraid he saw the flash so we lay still again. But we're okay. Now we're lying in the foam blocks with the little bit of light at our backs so that the light hits the paper on the journal. I am so tired though. Time for bed. I can't believe we're sleeping in the SFH. Crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home