Tuesday, September 30, 2008

There are creeps at BYU too.

When I went to BYU, I assumed everyone there was super-righteous, God-fearing, studious.... I guess there are a few bad apples at every school or in every religion, and I found one of them during Thanksgiving Break 2000. I didn't go on many dates at BYU and this is probably one of the reasons why; this kindof soured my taste for guys as a freshman.

It was Friday of Thanksgiving break. The athletes' weight room was closed, so I went upstairs to the everybody weight room. I was working out, minding my own business, when this guy approached me.
"Are you a swimmer?" (I had my athletic department issue on)
"Nope" I reply.
"Well you're working the triceps. I just figured...blah, blah...What sport do you play?"
"Cross country and track - long distance."
"Oh yeah?" And he starts talking. He was decent looking and flirty. I finished working out and told him I had to go. With 3 friends standing right behind him, he asked me if I wanted to come to his place and watch a movie. I assumed he meant "we" as in him, me, and his friends. So we exchanged phone numbers and his address.

That night I walked the 2-1/2 blocks to Liberty Square, where he lives. I rang the bell. He answered. I came in and it was just him and me. [I should have left right then!] I sat down in a chair next to the couch, took off my shoes and coat, and we talked for a few minutes. Then he invited me to sit on the couch, so I did. He put the movie in and turned out the lights. He had gotten The Sixth Sense. Scary movie. He asked if I wanted a blanket. I said I was fine. He sat down real close next to me and put the blanket over the both of us. In the first five minutes his arm is around me. I'm putting things together in my mind: no one home but us, couch, blanket, scary movie. This guy wants to get some action.

He starts rubbing my arm...he grabs my hand...he rubs his cheek against mine. I can sense that he's staring straight at my lips, so I stare at the movie. He comes in for a kiss; I lean away. He comes in several more times. Finally, I turn to him, look him straight in the eye and tell him flat out "I'm not going to kiss you tonight." He looked bewildered.

"Why?" he asks.
"I never kiss on the first date. And I barely know you."
He laid on all these cheesy lines like, "Well I'm special", "I could be the first one" and "If you could just get to know me." Then he said, "Let's ask each other questions to get to know each other better." He went first. He said something like, "I'll bet the boys chased you in high school. How many boys have you kissed?"

What kind of a question is that?! He ended up answering his own question: he had kissed 18 girls. After awhile, the conversation died down and I started paying attention to the movie again. Five minutes later, he's rubbing my neck and playing with my hair.
"I'm not going to kiss you," I say again.
"Why not?"
"We've been through this. Look - I don't kiss on the first date. It's my rule. And I'm quite stubborn on it."
"Well I'm stubborn too," he says. "And right now I'm seeing a beautiful girl with a beautiful smile...pretty eyes, blah blah blah...and all I want is a kiss from her."

He did this a few more times. He tried to kiss me again; this time I got off the couch, grabbed my shoes and coat and am out the door before he's off the couch. I'm totally power-walking home. He catches up with me.
"Let me walk you home."
I didn't reply. Just kept walking - eyes straight ahead, hands in my pockets, and hoping someone was at home. I get to my casa and walk in. He follows me right in.

My bro, Erik, and his wife, Lois, were there! They stopped by for a surprise visit before heading back to Ohio! Erik had his camcorder out. Karyn and Andy were there too. They told him I was coming home from a date. So Erik was filming me when I walked in - and Greg follows!

"Erik! I'm gonna kill you! Turn that thing off!"
Then Erik ignores me and goes straight to the guy. "I just want to interview him so mom and dad can meet him." I'm thinking ohhhh great. So Erik asks a few questions.
"Where are you from?"
"Pleasant Grove, Utah."
"Where'd you serve your mission?"
"______ Islands." I didn't even know he served a mission! I was surprised - what was he preaching?!

After the interview, Erik and Lois left. Andy and Karyn invited the guy and me to watch a movie with them. Could it get ANY worse? So I make something up.

"Karyn, I REALLY need to go shopping. I have to get a few things." It was almost 10:00 at night. She gave me a funny look and said "oooookay." Finally the guy said he should get going.
"Do you want to walk me out?" he says.
Not really, I think. But I walk him to the door and say a single "bye" before shutting the door in his face. As I shut it, he said he'd call me Sunday.

-----------

That's that entry! He did end up calling for a few days straight; I avoided answering the phone for awhile. I finally gathered up some courage and gave him one of the best rantings I've ever given; I defined words like "no" and "respect" for this lame-brained guy. Ugh! I gave that guy way too many chances and never made that mistake again!

6 Comments:

Blogger ellen said...

Creepy guys in Cougar Country?!?

3:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad you got up the courage to go on another date---Scott needs you :)

4:07 AM  
Blogger Karyn said...

Awesome story, Em. I vaguely, ever-so-vaguely, remember this occasion. Hmm, wouldn't it be funny to see this video now. I'm sure there is some classic A&K stuff too.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Frozen Cacti said...

That story just kept getting better and better with every paragraph.

I like your blog stories better than mine right about now.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Sherie said...

wow. that's really impressive. way to give him a good "ranting"! Yech!

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally remember this. Creep-o-rama!

[Karyn doesn't remember because there was this guy named Andy...]

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home