Saturday, September 20, 2008

June 1995: teen angst begins.

June 8, 1995.

A little preface: Karyn is my sibling closest in age. We are just under two years apart. She is older, so it was a little annoying to be called Karyn by elementary school teachers who had her first. Karyn was a perfect student, active in everything, ridiculously creative, and even a bit sporty. Sometimes it was a little rough to be in her shadow as you'll see in this journal entry.

"Karyn is being such a jerk! Mom took her on two shopping sprees in two days! Karyn bought a whole new wardrobe, even though she already has two dressers overflowing with clothes!"

(yes, that's a little teenage jealousy coming out...)

"Brand new shoes all the time! Everything! A HUGE room of her OWN! I have to share a room with Marissa! Karyn always gets money. She mows the lawn for our neighbor, gets $. She babysits, gets $. Anything she does, she gets $. I hate having an older sister. She always gets the babysitting jobs. She turned one down yesterday 'just because.' I would've taken it. Nobody wants me. Because I have an older sister. Life is misery at thirteen."

I laughed through that whole she does this, she gets money thing. Duh. I didn't work, so I didn't get money. It all makes sense now.

And by the way, now I love having Karyn as an older sister.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the blast from the past idea.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Karyn said...

Oh man.

$2 an hour for babysitting was great pay, but maybe I turned down the job because I had PMS! :P (yes, that is a tongue sticking out).

It is all so funny now. I might have to dig up some journal entries about you! :)

You are a great sis... thanks for all the laughs this week.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Drewmeister said...

So funny how our perspective changes as we get older!

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home