Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Oct. 2002: Enter Scott

October 2002 was a very ink-filled month. I broke up with a long-time boyfriend (this is a post for another day) and scrawled all kinds of angry sentiments in my journal (after two years of writing hideously romantic vomit - I skipped all that for this series of journal entries). Just a few weeks after that firestorm, my roommate decided she would take matters into her own hands and get me out of the house and out of my funk. She called Scott, who I knew as a casual acquaintance from church, and told him to call me. So he did. Here's the entry.

October 31, 2002: Tonight Scott called. He asked what I was up to tomorrow night. Before I could even answer, Tia yelled in the background really loud, "Emily, invite him to come ice skating with us!" So I did. I'm so pissed at Tia! I don't want a date! After Scott called, John called. He asked me out for tomorrow night too! But I had to turn him down because of the ice skating thing with Scott.

November 1, 2002: I hate to admit it, but I had a lot of fun tonight. Scott and I went with Tia, Mooner, Austin Moon, Anika, Keith, Katie Rose, and Jared the Golfer to Laser Tag. I was killed miserably. I was ranked 24th of 25. Ouch. But I had so much fun. Then I played Scott in air hockey. He won the first game in 7-6. I won the next in 7-1. I love beating boys. After air hockey, I went to Scott's and we watched Mission: Impossible. I had a great time. He didn't try and hold my hand. He didn't try to kiss me. He didn't lay on the moves. He was himself. I was impressed. Scott is a cool guy.

November 8, 2002: All is crazy! Steve (ex-boyfriend) is sending mixed messages and Scott isn't sending any! Okay, maybe some. We went and saw Minority Report tonight with a couple people. I swear I am socially retarded. I can't flirt. I can't play these dumb boy-girl games.

November 12, 2002: I was supposed to run with Scott today, but he called and said he was sick. Nasty migraine. So I made him some honey oatmeal bread. I took it over to his place. I talked to Dan and John for a few minutes. Then I went upstairs. I put the bread in the kitchen and Scott walked in behind me. We talked for awhile, then he walked me home. He gave me a hug (which I totally botched - I don't know where my arm was going, but it proves that I am socially retarded!) and told me he'd see me tomorrow. Today was a good day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Frozen Cacti said...

I'm glad Scott was willing to look past your socially retarded arm movements.

Who admits to that anyway?

10:42 PM  
Blogger mithu said...

i REALLY cracked-up while reading this because i can totally relate to not having any desire to play stupid boy-girl games, not being able to (or wanting to) flirt, botching simple hugs...etc. truly hilarious! oh, and that bit about the vomit-inducing romantic psychobabble was pretty darned funny too since i know you as a sensible mom and athlete AND the fact that you were WAAAAY less girly (at least from your prom & h.s. graduation pics) than many girls...so i thought it was really interesting.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home